Earlier this year, my friends and I decided to road trip to southern Utah and Arizona. Zion National Park was one of the top places we HAD to visit. Zion is an adventurer’s paradise with tons of hiking, canyoneering and sightseeing everywhere. Angels Landing was a can’t-miss hike along with a few others we had in mind. It is voted one of the most dangerous hikes in America. Danger you say? I like to live on the edge, so why the hell not defy death on this stunning yet dangerous hike?
Angels Landing is a ,1488 ft rock formation in Zion National Park with a total elevation of 5,790 ft. Walter’s Wiggles is a series of 21 switchbacks when you hit the halfway point of the journey. The hike is only 2.4 miles long that is roughly a two-hour ascent and after you soak in the stunning valley views, it is a short 45-minute “walking jog” down. To access the hike, you get dropped off at the grotto by the shuttle, which is the only way to navigate throughout the park. After the hike, you can finish your trip off with a refreshing dip in emerald pools just off the path before taking a bridge across the creek. To date, this has been my favorite hike and I’ve barely scratched the surface of all the hikes I want to do. I give you my reasons this is a bucket-list hike you must do in your lifetime.
1. Hikes can get boring if they are flat without a view. I am a sucker for a view and I will do whatever it takes to capture that moment. This hike, on the other hand, has incredible views the whole time. There is no other place in the world that offers the kind of views it has to offer.
2. It was a challenge. I’m always up for a challenge, so I welcomed this hike with open arms. It may be short but in the heat, it gets a tad bit harder.
3. The thrill of knowing you could plummet almost 1,500 ft to your death with one careless slip tickled me the right way. People have died on this hike. If you have a fear of heights, then this is a hike to conquer those fears. Bring your friends to help motivate you.
4. My friends made it a hike I’ll never forget. Without them, it still would have been awesome but enjoying experiences with awesome friends make it that much better. Thanks, JD, Brittany, and Ashley for being dope!
5. Bucket List. Checked off this bad boy.
“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru
See more images here: alphawanderlust.com